Getting some sort of daily physical activity is one of the secrets to feeling and looking the best you possibly can. Walking is a simple and highly effective activity that can cause positive dramatic transformations in your health. Walking regularly not only reduces body fat and keeps your heart in healthy shape, but it also significantly reduces stress. The USA is a fast food eating, depressed and anxious country in general. This does not have to be the case at all. All of those negative conditions and behaviors can be improved by walking every day.
Simply taking a simple half hour walk after dinner every night can have profound effects on your health. It will increase circulation and cell oxygenation, aid in losing weight, and let any accumulated stress dissipate into nature. The trees will listen to you talk about your struggles if nobody else wants to. In fact, they do it better because they won't judge you or make fun of you.
Besides walking, here are five more subtle activities that can have amazing benefits if done daily:
- Gardening - even for just 20 minutes a day can be beneficial. Gardening also helps you to sustain your own homegrown, all natural foods.
- Dancing to your favorite song while cleaning the house, washing dishes, or doing the laundry. It is a fun way to burn some extra calories and also work on your self-expression at the same time.
- Taking the stairs instead of the elevator is priceless. You will burn calories effortlessly while lessening the environmental impact of using the elevator.
- Riding a bicycle to run close errands instead of driving is my personal favorite, because it combines exercise with doing chores, while lessening my carbon footprint.
- Deliberately parking farther away in a parking lot can be a lot harder than it seems. I struggle with this myself sometimes because it is so convenient to take the first empty spot. In doing this though, you are forced to walk further to get to the store, which will burn a few extra calories.
All of the above activities (with the exception of riding bike) are pretty subtle. Please don’t be fooled by subtle movement. It is actually more sustainable to start with a little subtle movement every day than it is to go right into rigorous exercise. By listening to your body, you can eventually and gradually transition to more strenuous activities. I try to incorporate all different types of exercise into my life every day. Mixing exercise with your regular daily routine is not only easy to do, but it also makes it more fun. It gives you the opportunity to be creative and come up with your own simple workouts.
What are some ideas you have that will allow you to integrate subtle physical movement into your daily grind?