Baking gluten-free options can include a lot of trial and error before you get it right. This recipe for a simple tart is definitely a winner using only a few wholesome ingredients.
WHAT YOU NEED
PREES-IN PIE CRUST
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tbsp chilled coconut oil
- 2 tbsp (+1/2 tbsp) cold water
CHEESY LEEK & BROCCOLI FILLING
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise and chopped finely
- approx. 100 g/3.5oz broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cashews, soaked
- 1 tbsp nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 1/2 cup water
- black pepper
WHAT TO DO
- Prepare the crust first.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F. Lightly grease 3 tartlet tins with coconut oil.
- Stir together dry ingredients then cut in coconut oil with a fork, until crumbly. Add water 1 Tbsp at a time, until you can form a ball with the mixture with your hands. Divide the dough into 3 and press evenly into the prepared tins until it evenly covers the base and sides. Prick all over with a fork to prevent it puffing up.
- Pre-bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.
- Sauté the leeks in the oil over medium heat for approx 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the broccoli, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Blend together the remaining ingredients, except pepper (cashews through to water) and mix with the leeks and broccoli. Season with black pepper, to taste. Spoon the filling into the pre-baked crusts.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Place under the grill/broil for 1-2 minutes to brown tops (optional). Cool briefly before removing from the tins and serve warm or cold.