Living gluten free is pretty easy, but when it comes to the bread, that’s where I have a real issue. I miss soft, moist bread, that doesn’t have a spongy consistency! I miss flavor and memories of warm bread coming out of the oven.
I have been playing around with gluten free bread recipes for months now. I even have a kombucha sourdough starter living in my fridge as I write this, and I am more than willing to “feed” it daily and wait for weeks on end, just to get a taste of a sourdough again!
I have found one of the most flavor packed, most satisfying gluten free loafs of all time. It’s a BOLD statement, but whether you’re living gluten free or not, you will love this bread. In fact, I encourage you to make this, wrap it up, and take it into your office or next gathering just to prove how delicious unprocessed, gluten free “bread” can be!
Makes 1 5” x 9” loaf
- 2 1/4 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 4 large eggs (or 5 small)
- 1.5 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, pulled of stem
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, pulled off stem, finely chopped
- Additional herbs are optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and blend with a whisk for one minute, until very well combined. Add the wet ingredients and mix until well combined, and smooth as can be, about 1 minute. Once base is mixed well, add the fresh herbs. Stir in herbs, mix by hand for another 20-30 seconds, until herb mix is evenly distributed.
- The dough will be like a thick batter but should be thin enough that it wouldn’t roll into a ball. Pour dough mix into a well-greased bread pan. It will come up to less than halfway, and that is normal.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Let cool in the pan before serving.