The pumpkin is ubiquitous for fall, and on top of being extremely flavorful, it is also jam packed with vitamins and minerals!
1. Rich In MagnesiumPumpkin seeds (AKA pepitas) are super high in magnesium, a mineral essential for supporting you health. This mighty mineral is required to create energy in the body, synthesize RNA and DNA all while assisting to maintain the integrity of your bones and nervous system.
2. Immune System BoostingBeta-carotene (vitamin A) is responsible for the orange color of pumpkins but did you know this also means that they are packed full of antioxidants? This powerful level of antioxidants helps ward of harmful bacteria in the body and helps to boost your immune system to ensure it is doing it's job correctly. The perfect thing coming into the cold and flu season!
3. Nourishing For Your EyesightThis high beta-carotene content also helps to boost the health of your eyesight, as do the additional antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin. Such nourishing compounds line the eye to reduce infections, studies have also shown these to reduce macular degeneration.
4. Skin ProtectingPerfect for you skin, both inside and topically! Rich in enzymes, applying pumpkin topically will help dissolve skin cells while soothing and hydrating. Pumpkin will also nourish your skin from inside out due to its high levels of antioxidants in the form of vitamin A, C and E, along with, Zinc - all beauty vitamins and minerals.
5. It Will Make You HappyDue to the pumpkins high levels of tryptophan, it will leave you feeling pretty happy with yourself after eating it. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid used in your body to make proteins, vitamin B niacin and also, neurotransmitters, serotonin and melatonin. All great for inducing relaxation, stress and increasing that elated feeling!
PUMPKIN SUPERFOOD SMOOTHIE
Full of vitamin C and beta-carotene, nourishing our bodies and preparing us for winter. In autumn, pumpkin (and pumpkin spice) is everywhere. How about taking that fall favorite and turning it into a delicious, protein-packed healthy pumpkin pie smoothie? This one has a glorious color and incredible flavor—just like having dessert for breakfast!
This recipe uses milk from pumpkin seeds, which are packed with minerals like magnesium, zinc and manganese; they also provide high-quality protein, which is great any time but especially after a workout or for breakfast.
- 1 cup pumpkin, pureed
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon organic raw honey
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 small piece of dark chocolate
- Place hemp and pumpkin seeds in the blender, add water and process to make a creamy milk.
- Add the pureed pumpkin, pollen, spices and honey, and blend for 1 minute, until you obtain a smooth liquid.
- Pour in serving glasses, top with pollen granules and chocolate flakes.
- Drink right away to get the maximum benefit from the nutrients.