There’s nothing ordinary about this stunning herb-specked, grain-free tabouli. Raw cauliflower and pine nuts take center stage and combine to add an unexpected and essential nuttiness and color that elevate the dish. This recipe takes just minutes to whip up and seconds to devour. It’s crunchy, fresh, and the very definition of 'craveable' clean food that makes you want more. I really shouldn’t play favorites, but this salad may well be my favorite!
Tools: Food processor (optional)
- 1/2 head purple or white cauliflower, core removed
- 3 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, pressed (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped pine nuts, toasted
- In a food processor, chop the cauliflower into 1/4-inch pieces. Do not overprocess. Alternatively, chop it by hand.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cauliflower, cucumber, tomato, mint, parsley, and red onion.
- Toss the vegetables with the olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic (if desired). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with pine nuts just before serving.
- Serve immediately, or it may be made an hour ahead. If making in advance, toss the pine nuts in right before serving so they stay crunchy.
- Because the fresh, raw ingredients are the centerpiece here, only make this recipe when you have access to the freshest herbs and cauliflower.
- Nuts are crucial. They add an essential favor and crunch that are unexpected and should be included.
- Use any color cauliflower you can find.
- Substitute another nut for the pine nuts. Toasted would be yummiest.
- Add chopped anything! Red bell peppers and olives are favorite flavor profiles.