This breakfast dish can also lend itself to being served as a side dish: it’s more of a savoury porridge than a sweet one.
- 370 g (13 oz/2 cups) cooked quinoa (see note)
- 375 ml (13 fl oz/ 1½ cups) tinned coconut milk
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- Fruit and yogurt, to serve
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the pepitas and shredded coconut, in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to the boil. Simmer for 3 minutes or until the creamy mixture starts to thicken, then remove from the heat.
- Divide the porridge between two bowls, scatter with the pepitas and shredded coconut and serve immediately with fruit and yogurt.
NOTE: Quinoa is a super grain that is very high in protein and fiber as well as being gluten free. When soaked overnight it is easier to digest. To make 370 g (13 oz/2 cups) of cooked quinoa:
- Soak 135 g (4¾ oz/ 2/3 cup) of quinoa overnight in a large bowl of water. Drain and rinse well under cold running water to flush away the soapy residue (saponins).
- Put it in a saucepan with 330 ml (11¼ fl oz/ 1 1/3 cups) of water, bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to as low as possible and simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is soft.
Recipes and Images from A Whole New Way to Eat by Vladia Cobrdova (Murdoch Books)