- 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup walnuts (any nut will work, use pumpkin seeds or oats for nut free version)
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or 2 pitted dates
- 2 Tablespoon lemon zest (organic preferred)- from about 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
- 2 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (for color)
WHAT TO DO
- In a food processor, chop the dates, nuts, and salt until a dough-like consistency is formed.
- In a 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper, press the crust into the bottom in an even layer. Wet your hands slightly it is sticky.
- In a food processor or blender add the coconut flakes and process until smooth and creamy.
- To the coconut butter (that you just made or just buy coconut butter) add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Adjust sweetener as needed but remember the crust is sweet as well.
- Pour the lemon mixture onto the crust and let set in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Cut into bars.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
Notes: Choose organic ingredients when possible