What Is Fascia And Why Is It So Important To Keep It Healthy?
Your fascia - the interconnective tissue beneath your skin - has often been called the “missing link” in modern medicine. All your muscles, bones, arteries, veins and cells LIVE INSIDE this connective tissue. Science has proven that fascial restrictions are often the cause of skeletal misalignments that result in joint pain, headaches, chronic pain and conditions like depression, TMJ and fibromyalgia.
Unfortunately, most forms of exercise, including yoga, neglect the fascia. They don’t nourish or hydrate this interconnective tissue. In these classes, award-winning yoga instructor Brett Larkin guides you through the movements science has proven your fascia needs to be healthy: unprogrammed movement, biomorphic movement, undulation and variations on Yin yoga to work DIRECTLY with your fascia for optimal health and well-being. No prior movement experience or knowledge of the fascia is required. All you need is your body -- and awareness.
So What Does Your Fascia Need To Be Healthy?
Here’s what the science says:
- Unprogrammed movement. Most forms of exercise, even yoga, are choreographed. In this series, I’ll be teaching you how you can move intuitively from your unconscious mind. It’s this intuitive movement that is unique to YOU that your neglected fascia craves.
- Biomorphic movement. This means moving like an animal! We want to release our habitual patterns and get more in touch with our fluid, organic side. Don’t worry, this is much easier than it seems.
- LASTLY: Your fascia loves a surprise.Your interconnective tissue rehydrates and reorganizes best when it’s thrown into chaos. Unexpectedly jumping up and down, as well as dance-like movements, are highly effective in counteracting the repetitive motions that daily life (and traditional exercise classes) ask of us.
There Are Two Things I Want You To Remember As We Move Through This Series Together
- The first is: Never force. Forcing the body to stretch or move in a certain way will throw your unconscious into protection. Once your body is in protection, no healing can occur. Your interconnective tissue will tighten, instead of softening.
- The second: Personalize the exercises in this video. Listen to your own mind-body complex. Just like any other muscles you choose to stretch or strengthen, your mind-body wisdom will get stronger the more you utilize these videos. I’m going to be teaching you HOW to move in a way that’s designed to inspire your own intuitive movements.
As you come back to these videos, encourage yourself to release your inhibitions and liberate your body to move more spontaneously.
It’s your intuitive, spontaneous movement that will hydrate and reorganize your connective tissue in the way that’s most effective for YOUR body.
I’m using a yoga mat in these routines, but you could also practice on the floor, carpet or on a blanket. Please try to have a blanket nearby to help support your joints in various poses. Dim the lights and create a healing atmosphere for these routines. This helps us more fully focus on our bodies -- and let go.
Let’s get started!
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!