44 Ways to Practice Gratitude
Gratitude is our emotion that relates to feeling and expressing thankfulness and appreciation. Research shows that expressing gratitude regularly improves mental, physical, and relational well-being.
By taking the time to be grateful, for even the small things, you will begin to experience a positive attitude that actually creates a ripple effect into your physical life. Research shows that people who regularly practice gratitude have lower blood pressure, exercise more often, and even have fewer aches and pains.
The best part? With the practice of gratitude comes increased serotonin levels - the happiness hormone - which leads to positive relationships with those around you, and yourself, which in turn results in a decrease in thoughts of depression. From that state, it gets even easier to continue to be grateful!
Don’t worry, these aren’t just temporary results, some of these effects tend to be long-lasting! Here are some of our favorite ways to express gratitude!
- Ask your waitress how her day is going
- Be a mentor or teach someone
- Be an active listener
- Call your friends or family
- Change “I have to” to “I get to”
- Do a form of movement you love and thank your incredible body
- Do something unexpected for someone
- Donate some of your possessions to a charity
- Feed your body nourishing foods
- Get to know your neighbors
- Give a shoutout on social media to a company you love
- Give genuine compliments to those around you
- Host a gratitude dinner party (Thanksgiving isn't the only day to be grateful over a good meal)
- Hug more
- Keep a gratitude jar filled with notes on life’s blessings
- Keep a gratitude journal
- Laugh more
- Leave encouraging words for someone
- Make a vision board of all the things you are grateful for in your life
- Make eye contact
- Make handmade gifts
- Pay it forward: buy someone a coffee
- Place positive post-it notes and quotes around your house
- Practice positive affirmations
- Read a book and share it with someone
- Say thanks before each meal
- Share hand-picked flowers
- Share positive reviews
- Shop at a local farmers market and give thanks to your farmers
- Smile :)
- Stop, smell, and absorb nature. Give thanks for the air in your lungs and admire the beauty around you
- Take three deep breaths
- Take time to do something you love each day
- Take time to fill your cup
- Tell your partner what you love about them every day
- Thank people for their service
- Think of three things you’re grateful for before you go to sleep
- Try a guided gratitude meditation
- Turn complaints into an opportunity for growth
- Visit your family
- Volunteer for a cause you believe in
- Walk a little lighter - reduce your plastic consumption
- Watch more sunrises and sunsets, recognize each day as a gift
- Write a handwritten thank-you note
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY AND SHARE YOUR GRATITUDE
- We want you to use the above list as a guide to help you find gratitude in the smallest ways, feel free to get creative, find your own moments of gratitude, and don’t feel pressured to attain perfection! Share a photo, illustration, or quote daily to any social media platform or inside of our Private Facebook Group sharing what you are grateful for.
- Use the hashtag #iamgrateful so we can follow along + you will inspire others in the community.
Take the stress out of cooking with 21-days of guided meal plans, shopping lists, and nutrition support. You’ll find all of this, and more, in our signature Clean Eating Program.