Could a Plant-Based Diet Save Your Life? And the Planet? with Simon Hill
Listen on the food matters podcast
We live in a time where there is more nutrition advice available than ever before, and yet there is still so much confusion when it comes to what we really should be eating for optimal health.
Low fat, high fat, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, keto … the list goes on. But these diets have more in common than they do differences. They all empathize greater intake of plant foods, which we now know helps prevent disease, promote heart health, feed our gut microbiome, reduce inflammation, and so many more health benefits.
Joining us with all the answers is Simon Hill - nutritionist, physiotherapist, and plant-based advocate. In this episode, Simon explains the science around nutrition as well as the benefits of a plant based diet, and the action we need to take as individuals through our diets, to create better health outcomes and clear the confusion on what will be best for us in the long-term.
Simon is ultimately about empowering individuals with important information about food and their diet so that they can make the best choices for themselves and the planet. An important and powerful conversation for all of us to regain our confidence around food.
About Simon Hill
Simon Hill is the host and founder of the hugely popular The Proof podcast and blog of the same name, and a nutritionist and qualified physiotherapist. On top of his formal education, Simon spends hours and hours deciphering scientific studies so he can break down how to fuel your body to promote longevity and reduce the chance of developing disease while simultaneously achieving whatever health and fitness goals you may have.
He is the plant-based food contributor to Chris Hemsworth’s fitness app, Centr, and in 2019 Simon opened a plant-based restaurant, Eden, in his Sydney neighborhood of Bondi. In 2021 he published his book The Proof is in the Plants, with Penguin Australia, which shot to the #1 non-fiction book Australia-wide in its debut week.
In this week's episode with Simon Hill you’ll discover:
- The benefits of a heavily plant-based diet.
- How we can take back control of any predisposed genetic conditions.
- How to address the effects of cardiovascular disease through diet.
- The normalization of chronic illness - and common food industry myths.
- How the environment we live in can affect our health.
- Sparking change within the food industry & taking the right steps to ensure society can adhere to a healthier food pattern.
- How to understand and interpret food packaging - breaking the illusions of the health star system.
- Ultra Processed Foods v’s Unprocessed Whole Foods - the myths and the benefits.
- Individual diet ideologies that lead to good health - choosing the right diet for your body.
- The latest science around which omega is anti-inflammatory.
- Comparison of certain meat proteins and the domestication and production of the food we consume.
- And so much more!
- Follow Simon on Instagram (instagram)
- The Proof Is in the Plants (book)
- Optimal low-density lipoprotein is 50 to 70 mg/dl: lower is better and physiologically normal (journal article)
- Effects of red meat, white meat, and non-meat protein sources on atherogenic lipoprotein measures in the context of low compared with high saturated fat intake: a randomized controlled trial (journal article)
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share it with your friends and family on social media or leave a comment. We'd love to hear from you, and hear about your experience.
We'll see you next time!