Crazy Sexy Bean Chili
This recipe has been shared by one of our dear friends, Kris Carr. She is a New York Times best-selling author, wellness activist and cancer thriver! If there's one thing she knows well, it's how to cook a mean vegetarian meal! This Crazy Sexy Bean Chili is the perfect home-cooked meal to bring you comfort and warmth. It's also highly nutritious and the perfect dish for vegetarians and vegans.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced (for less heat, remove seeds and/or use half the pepper)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground seitan (alternatives: crumbled tempeh [wheat-free] or finely diced mushrooms [soy-free])
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced potato (any kind)
- Two 15-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed
- One 15-ounce can of kidney beans, rinsed
- One 14-ounce can of crushed tomatoes (San Marzano recommended)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- Diced avocado (optional)
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Toast cumin seeds in a dry soup pot on medium heat, for 2 minutes until you smell the robust aroma. (This process releases the full flavor of the spice.)
- Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Stir consistently until the onion is golden and translucent.
- Add in the chili powder, seitan, zucchini, and potato, and stir well. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring to avoid sticking.
- Add in black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, water, maple syrup, sea salt, and cilantro. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low, and allow to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the kale.
- Serve hot. Garnish with diced avocado and a handful of cilantro, if using.
Want to get acquainted with Crazy Sexy Kris Carr? Click here to drop into her online neighborhood.
What's your favorite healthy comfort meal to cook?
Take the stress out of cooking with 21-days of guided meal plans, shopping lists, and nutrition support. You’ll find all of this, and more, in our signature Clean Eating Program.