Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced (for less heat, remove seeds and/or use half the pepper)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground seitan (alternatives: crumbled tempeh [wheat-free] or finely diced mushrooms [soy-free])
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced potato (any kind)
- Two 15-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed
- One 15-ounce can of kidney beans, rinsed
- One 14-ounce can of crushed tomatoes (San Marzano recommended)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- Diced avocado (optional)
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Toast cumin seeds in a dry soup pot on medium heat, for 2 minutes until you smell the robust aroma. (This process releases the full flavor of the spice.)
- Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Stir consistently until the onion is golden and translucent.
- Add in the chili powder, seitan, zucchini, and potato, and stir well. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring to avoid sticking.
- Add in black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, water, maple syrup, sea salt, and cilantro. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low, and allow to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the kale.
- Serve hot. Garnish with diced avocado and a handful of cilantro, if using.
Want to get acquainted with Crazy Sexy Kris Carr? Click here to drop into her online neighborhood.