DIY Recipes For Self-Care
Daily self-care rituals might be a wonderful place to start your practice of self-love.
Rituals around your physical, spiritual, psychological, social and emotional states become a priority. Guilt disappears and a real holistic approach to your health is of high importance. The food you eat, the consistency with which you exercise, the timeout rituals, the way you speak – all of it becomes part of your daily world, and with ease.
Even if you are really busy it is about capturing micro-moments of self-care. Walking to the letterbox with bare feet for grounding. Using essential oils in a vaporizer every morning to set the mood for the whole family. Taking three deep breaths with an aromatic spritzer before choosing your words.
I truly believe this is where the power of essential oils can work their magic. Smell is so closely linked to our emotions, emotions govern behavior… so it makes sense to use these powerful plant extracts to support us with our emotional welfare but our personal care, beauty and cleaning as well. In order to give to others, in order to love yourself to bits it's important – imperative – you take care of yourself. Ultimately self-care is not selfish – it’s essential.
What are my favorite Essential Oils for Self-Care?
I love using Lavender Oil for relaxing. I drop some lavender oil in a carrier oil for massages before bed to help induce sleep for overactive minds.
Here are 3 of my favorite self-care recipes using Essential Oils!
1. OCEAN BODY SCRUB
Sea salt is rich in minerals and great for getting rid of dead skin cells, coconut oil is conditioning for skin, Avocado oil nutritious for skin, hydrating, conditioning
- ½ cup sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 10 drops of lavender essential oils
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Store in an airtight container (jars are perfect).
- To use, jump in the shower to wet your body, then use about 1 tbsp of the mixture scrubbing into all areas of the body (avoiding sensitive areas).
- Jump back under the water and rinse well.
2. STRESS RELIEF BATH BLEND
Have you been having trouble getting to sleep? Try this bath blend to calm the mind, aid restful sleep while reducing muscular pain and skin complaints.
- ¼ cup dried lavender
- 10 drops lavender essential oils
- 1 cup Epsom salts
- ¼ cup ground oatmeal
- Mix all ingredients together and store in glass jars.
- Run a bath at your preferred temperature.
- Add ¼ cup of the mixture straight to the tub, one stressed human and soak for as long as you need.
3. COCONUT COOLING LOTION
The gel of Aloe Vera is well known for its healing properties. Cleopatra used to have it massaged into her skin, while you may not be able to have someone massage you with it daily, you can still soak up the health benefits of this old remedy. Aloe and coconut oil will work together to reduce redness and soften the skin. Perfect after a little too much time spent in the sun.
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
- 10 drops of essential oil (try lavender, orange or lemon for cooling and uplifting)
- Mix ingredients together in a glass jar and use on skin after a little too much sun or whenever for a cooling, rejuvenating massage.
Do you have a passion for nutrition & natural healing?. Learn more about the Food Matters Nutrition Certification Program here.