PlanEAT! Eating for you and the planet!
Have you seen the documentary on FMTV Plan Eat? The film chronicles the story of three men’s life-long journey to search for a truly sustainable diet, which is not only good for our health but good for the environment and the future of the planet. The film features the ground-breaking work of Dr. T Colin Campbell in China exploring the link between diet and disease, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's use of diet to treat heart disease patients, and Professor Gidon Eshel's investigations into how our food choices contribute to global warming, land use, and oceanic dead zones.
Too often we forget about the detrimental harm our food choices are causing the environment, so we've put together a few ways to be mindful about the way we PlanEAT!
1. Look for products with minimal packaging! Next time you are doing your grocery shopping be mindful of the amount of packaging on the product and opt for produce with minimal to no plastic wraps.
2. Go Local, Go Organic! Not only is organic local food good for your health, it also supports the local farming industry and reduces the negative impact on the environment.
3. Preserve it! We all tend to over shop and end at the end of the week we find ourselves tossing out odd veggies. But have you ever thought about turning the over ripe produce into a delicious preserve or pickle? Recipe idea’s here!
4. Grow it! Growing your own food is a satisfying way to care for the planet. Having your own kitchen garden cuts out the middle man completely and is both organic and local.
5. Turn waste into a resource! Got a compost pile? Or a collection of jars? There are a number of little things you can do in your everyday life to turn waste into a resource, check out more ideas here!
6. Reduce waste! Along with all these tangible tips, there is one that can be practiced all the time and that is being mindful when it comes to waste! And that is to consistently remember to be a proactive PlanEAT'er!
7. Plan it! Sometimes it all goes wrong when we don’t plan it, more than often we find ourselves becoming more wasteful when we don’t plan our meals for the week. How about starting a meal plan for the week? Or plan meals that can be frozen or repurposed into other dishes.
Watch PLANEAT today on FMTV and discover with the help of some innovative farmers and chefs, how the problems we face today can be solved, without simply resorting to a diet of lentils and lettuce leaves!
Get access to the entire Food Matters Film Library. Start watching here.