Thanksgiving: 6 Recipes To Make You Use Pumpkin Spice In A New Way
Keeping with the theme of Thanksgiving, we couldn’t help but share with you some of our favorite pumpkin spice recipes.
Whether you’re entertaining family and friends and are keen to impress or you’re simply loving everything pumpkin flavored, these recipes are a must-have in your collection!
As the Pumpkin Pie Latte trend runs wild this time of year in the U.S. we decided to get on board with the Food Matters Approved version! Same pumpkin pie mouth-watering taste, packing a nutritional punch. So, not only will you get your fix, your immune system will, too.
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ to ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp or more of pumpkin pie spice (Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend below)
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée * note below
- 1½ cups almond milk
- 1 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup, raw honey or rice malt syrup
- Optional: 1 tbsp pasture-fed gelatin or collagen powder, turmeric, pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon for garnish
- Bring water and spices to a boil. Simmer for a minute.
- Add the pumpkin, almond milk and sweetener in a blender and pulse until frothy. Add to the boiling water that is infused with spices.
- Pour into mugs. Sprinkle pinches of turmeric and pumpkin pie spice and serve!
MAKE YOUR OWN PUMPKIN PIE SPICE BLEND
We love making up our own Pumpkin Pie Blend to have on hand to sprinkle on everything! Mix it up in a small jar and use as needed.
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1½ tsp ground allspice
- 1½ tsp ground cloves
Note: While squash is in season, you're better off making your own pumpkin purée in bulk to use in recipes. Relying on canned pumpkin purée is convenient, but the USDA is fairly lenient with what can go into these canned purées.
When your favorite Pumpkin Pie Spice flavors meet with crunchy spiced granola and candied pecans! We have a winner!
- 1 1/2 cups coconut yogurt or coconut whipped cream
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juice & zest
- 2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- To make pumpkin purée, dice squash into cubes and gently steam until softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- While squash is steaming, prepare candied pecans and granola.
- To prepare the spiced granola, in a small bowl mix together oats, sea salt, coconut sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and coconut oil. Coat well and spread evenly on a lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Be sure to check and toss around every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking. Remove and allow to cool.
- To prepare candied pecans, in a small bowl, mix together chopped pecans, coconut oil, maple syrup, cinnamon and sea salt. Coat well and spread evenly on a lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Be sure to check and toss around every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking. Remove and allow to cool.
- To make pumpkin pie filling, in a blender add puréed squash, coconut sugar, lemon juice and zest, pumpkin pie spices, cinnamon and sea salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Layer your parfaits, starting with pumpkin pie filling, coconut yogurt or whipped cream, spiced granola, candied pecans, and repeat.
- Makes 4 parfaits.
3. Pumpkin Pie Spiced Ice Cream
- 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- ¼ to ⅓ cup pumpkin purée
- 3 tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend
- In a blender combine all ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a container and freeze for 3 hours.
- Remove frozen mixture from container, into large chunks and place in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. You may need to stop and scrape the mixture with a spatula several times.
- Smooth the "ice cream" into a loaf pan and place in the freezer for 1 hour to set.
- Scoop and enjoy!
Check out these Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls by Minimalist Baker. A drool-worthy addition to your Thanksgiving table.
Over at Love & Lemons they are cooking up some mouthwatering Thanksgiving breakfast treats. Pumpkin waffles - Yes, Please!
If the photo and the title wasn't enough to tempt you, we're not sure what is! Gluten-free, paleo and vegan friendly. You can't go wrong with these spicy-sweet fall flavors!
Have You Got A Favorite Pumpkin Spice Recipe? Share It With Us In The Comments Below!
Discover how to eat your medicine to heal your gut, eliminate bloating, skin issues and hair loss as I share seven nutrition principles in this free masterclass. Running for a limited time only.