Love noodles? Then this one's for you. Kids and parents alike love this super tasty dish using spaghetti squash as an alternative to traditional pasta. The cashew pesto makes a wonderful sauce that adds a great cheesy, nutty flavor. This dish will quickly become a permanent addition to your family’s recipe rotation. No one has to know that it’s both gluten-free and dairy-free.
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 1 medium squash
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ tsp sea salt, or more to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
Spaghetti Squash Noodles Directions
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Slice the top inch and bottom inch off the squash.
- Next, slice the squash in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scrape out all of the seeds and stringy flesh. Brush the cut flesh of the spaghetti squash with a little extra virgin olive oil and place cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Roast 30-40 minutes until the flesh is fork tender and completely cooked through. Let rest at least 15 minutes or until it's cool enough to handle.
- Using a fork, start at one end and scrape the 'noodles' out lengthwise. Voila! Noodles.
- Add garlic to the food processor first, and run until it is well minced.
- Add cashews, pumpkin seeds, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice and sea salt.
- Run the food processor continuously and slowly stream in the olive oil through the top spout. Stop and scrape down the sides.
- Continue to process until smooth, adding a touch more olive oil as needed. You may also add up to ¼ cup of water to thin down the pesto if you will be using it as a sauce.
Put it all together
- Transfer warm noodles to a large mixing bowl.
- Add pesto and gently toss together until well incorporated.