Easy Cashew Basil Pesto with Spaghetti Squash Noodles
Love noodles? Then this one's for you. Kids and parents alike love this super tasty dish using spaghetti squash as an alternative to traditional pasta. The cashew pesto makes a wonderful sauce that adds a great cheesy, nutty flavor. This dish will quickly become a permanent addition to your family’s recipe rotation. No one has to know that it’s both gluten-free and dairy-free.
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 1 medium squash
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ tsp sea salt , or more to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
Spaghetti Squash Noodles Directions
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Slice the top inch and bottom inch off the squash.
- Next, slice the squash in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scrape out all of the seeds and stringy flesh. Brush the cut flesh of the spaghetti squash with a little extra virgin olive oil and place cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Roast 30-40 minutes until the flesh is fork tender and completely cooked through. Let rest at least 15 minutes or until it's cool enough to handle.
- Using a fork, start at one end and scrape the 'noodles' out lengthwise. Voila! Noodles.
- Add garlic to the food processor first, and run until it is well minced.
- Add cashews, pumpkin seeds, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice and sea salt.
- Run the food processor continuously and slowly stream in the olive oil through the top spout. Stop and scrape down the sides.
- Continue to process until smooth, adding a touch more olive oil as needed. You may also add up to ¼ cup of water to thin down the pesto if you will be using it as a sauce.
Put it all together
- Transfer warm noodles to a large mixing bowl.
- Add pesto and gently toss together until well incorporated.