James’s Green Papaya Salad
In the islands, fresh tropical fruits are in abundance, so we try to use them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! One of the best ways to enjoy green papaya is in this Thai-inspired salad, where it pairs perfectly with the chili and lime.
Yield: 3 cups
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: none
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 long red chili, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green papaya, peeled, halved, and deseeded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1 handful green beans, topped and thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch basil, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup crushed roasted peanuts
- In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice, coconut sugar, tamari, garlic, and chili until coconut sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Shave or grate the papaya and carrot using a vegetable peeler or box grater into long, thin strands. Place in a large bowl and combine with the green beans, spring onions, tomato, cilantro, and basil.
- Toss the dressing with the salad and serve with a sprinkle of crushed peanuts.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!