There is more attention being brought to the benefits of fermented foods. And it's with good reason! Fermented foods are incredibly beneficial to the body in many ways, including helping you age gracefully. (I talked all about it in my recent Masterclass with Susan Teton HERE.)
I wanted to share a recipe that Susan gave us for her favorite fermented drink: beet kvass. It's easy to make, amazing for your gut, and delicious. I hope you enjoy it.
- 2-3 organic beets, washed but not peeled
- 1/4 cup starter or whey (coconut kefir, liquid from the top of yogurt, etc.)
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- Filtered water
- Cut your beets up into the size of a marble (not any smaller).
- Place beets into a canning jar.
- Add your starter or whey.
- Add enough water to ensure the beets are covered.
- Add in the ginger.
- Seal the lid, and let it sit for a week.
- After fermentation has happened, strain the liquid, and drink the juice.
You can use the beets in a salad, cook them, or reserve some of your kvass and the beets to make another batch.
Do you have a passion for nutrition & natural healing?. Learn more about the Food Matters Nutrition Certification Program here.