Meal prep is game-changing in theory but can be hard to put into practice, nevermind keep up with. Not every recipe is designed to stay fresh and appealing after a few days in the fridge, but this citrus, chickpea and Brussels sprout salad actually gets better with time. Store it in a glass container for up to a week and enjoy as a side, as an entrée by adding protein, or top on a bed of greens as a giant salad.
“Meal prep is my secret weapon when it comes to staying nourished and on track during a busy week,” McKell shared with us. “We all want more time – more time to spend with our friends and family and time for doing the activities we love. It’s just about creating the time.”
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- 2 (15 oz) cans organic chickpeas
- 1 lb roasted Brussels sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, optional
- pinch of sea salt
- black pepper, adjust to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- If you have the oven on cooking other vegetables for your weekly staples, roast the Brussels sprouts alongside.
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl and make sure the olive oil and lemon have coated all ingredients. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Store in a glass container for up to a week and enjoy as a side, as an entrée by adding protein, or top on a bed of greens.