Winter Squash Soup with Tahini and Za'atar Chickpea Croutons (Recipe)
WINTER SQUASH SOUP WITH TAHINI AND ZA'ATAR CHICKPEA CROUTONS
For the Soup:
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 lbs red kuri squash (or winter squash of choice) peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Minced parsley for serving
For the Tahini Sauce:
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
For the Chickpea Croutons:
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (if from the can rinsed, drained and patted dry)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Za’atar (a middle eastern spice blend)
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Toss chickpeas with the olive oil and za’atar. Bake in the oven until lightly browned and crisp. About 15-20 minutes. Toss chickpeas halfway through baking.
- Prepare the tahini sauce by combing all of the ingredients and mixing until smooth. This works best with an immersion blender or food processor. Taste test and adjust seasonings, if need be.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant. About 5 minutes. Stir in the squash and spices. Cook for about 3 more minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Carefully purée the soup with an immersion blender or regular blender. Taste test and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve the soup with a healthy drizzle of the tahini sauce, chickpea croutons, parsley and plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
Pantry shelves need topping up with all the good stuff? Shop our staples here.