Avocado Hummus With Za'atar Pita Chips
As a Middle Easterner, I have had my share of hummus; it's a dish that never disappoints. Hummus has become the mother of all dips. Not only is it vegan friendly and healthy, but it's super flavorful with only a minimal amount of ingredients and time. It can't get better than that. This Avocado Hummus with Za'atar Pita Chips is a scrumptious twist on the classic.
Why is this dish good for you?
- High in fiber & antioxidants
- Incredibly nutritious with plenty of vitamins
- High in potassium - even more than bananas
- It is an immune booster
- High in vitamins
- Unprocessed & plant based
- 2 cups of chickpeas (cooked)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (about one lemon's juice)
- 2 tbsp of tahini
- Pinch of cumin (optional)
- 1/3 cup of cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado
- Take your 2 cups of chickpeas and drain the water but keep the liquid that was drained and place aside. You will be using a small portion of it. Place these drained chickpeas into the processor or blender. Blend the peas for a few seconds.
- Then add the salt, olive oil, cumin, lemon juice, and tahini to the chickpeas and blend for another minute. Slowly begin adding your liquid (approx 2 tablespoons) that was drained from the chickpeas to slightly loosen the mixture and give a little more flavor. Mix until smooth. Add your avocado and cilantro. Purée this all together for another 30-40 seconds. The hummus should be a subtle green color.
- I like to garnish my hummus with sumac & cilantro.
Za'atar Pita Chips
Pita bread is a staple in a Middle Eastern household. It's the perfect bread for dips or simple sandwiches. It's always served with hummus; hence why I decided to use them, but not without a little extra flavor, of course.
- 1 pita bread
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp za'atar
- 1 tsp sumac
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F.
- Cut your pita bread into triangles. Spread your olive oil and zaatar mixture onto the bread.
- Place the pita in a lightly oiled pan. Put it in the oven and bake for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve the chips & dip together for the perfect duo.