Baked Beans (The Ultimate Breakfast Recipe)
Dan Churchill has shared his Baked Bean recipe with us, this is the ultimate breakfast, packed with nourishing ingredients to keep you going!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 Rashes of lean/shortcut Bacon, sliced (Optional)
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste (go sugar free if you can)
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon rice malt syrup (optional)
- 3 Tomatoes, chopped (or if your tired 1 can) - but practice your knife skills ;p
- 1 Can white (navy) beans (drained)
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 Cup stock (vegetable or beef)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon cheek
What to do
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Add oil to a oven proof pan on medium heat and caramelize onions and garlic for 8 minutes.
- Next brown the bacon (if using) for 3 minutes before adding the tomato paste, mustard and rice malt syrup (if using), stir to combine for 1 minute
- Fold in the tomatoes and kidney beans, before adding the onion and garlic powder along with the spices.
- Pour in the stock bring to a boil before putting in the oven for 15-25 mins or until most the stock has been absorbed and it has that oozy consistency.
- Finish with a sprinkling of salt and pepper and a squeeze of Lemon Juice.
Hungry for more recipes just like this one? Discover the best recipes fresh from the Food Matters Kitchen .