Carrot And Chickpea Pancakes
These quick, wheat-free pancakes are perfect for any time of the day and can be enjoyed hot or cold. Stuff them with Mumbai Aloo and a drizzle of Garlic and red Chili chutney to make a filling meal.
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 green chilli, seeded (optional) and finely chopped, or large pinch of red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- ¼ tsp ajwain seeds
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- 125 g fine chickpea flour (besan)
- 1–2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- Place all the ingredients, except the ghee or oil into a large bowl and mix, gradually adding 80–100ml cold water, until the batter mix resembles the consistency of double cream.
- Dip some paper towel into the ghee or oil and carefully wipe the inside of a non-stick crêpe or frying pan to coat the entire pan. Heat the pan over a medium heat, then gradually pour in one ladleful of the batter and swirl the pan to get a nice even layer.
- Cook for about 35–40 seconds, then gently lift out with a palette knife to check if it is golden brown. Flip over and cook the other side for about 35–40 seconds. Continue this process until all the batter is finished. Serve.
Cook up a storm in the kitchen with fresh, healthy inspiration. Explore the full library of Food Matters recipes, here.