Cashew, Cardamom & Vanilla Milk
Nut milks are a staple in our house. We use them all the time in smoothies, desserts, homemade mueslis or just on their own. As nut milks are becoming a very popular product, big companies are taking advantage and have started making nut milks that are full of additives, and sometimes the most nuts you will find in any of the commercial milks is around 2%! They use fillers to make it creamer, stabilisers for longer shelf life and flavours to make it taste better.
I don’t know about you, but I want my nut milk to be of the best quality and actually have more than the 2% nuts in it. I typically buy a brand that has 10% activated almonds when I don’t have the time to make my own.
When I started experimenting with different flavours, I wanted to try different spices and created this creamy, rich and bodied milk. It has 5 ingredients and it’s super easy to make! I always use organic ingredients at home, but do what you can.
- 1 cup cashews (soaked for a minimum of 2 hrs)
- 4 cups water (filtered preferably)
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 1 tbs (12) cardamom pods
What to do
- After the cashews have finished soaking, rinse them well.
- Add the cashews, water, dates, vanilla and cardamom pods to a high-speed blender and blend for around 30 seconds.
- Once a smooth, creamy consistency has been reached, put it through a nut bag a strain. I normally don’t even bother as my blender is really good and cashews are so creamy that I just drink it the way it is without straining it. Almonds can be a little more crunchy so I would strain them.
- Store it in an airtight glass jar for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Are you looking for the ultimate crash course in nutrition? Discover the free online masterclass and tune in today.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!