Chickpea Falafels With Chili Tomato Salsa
Chickpeas are packed with nutrients like manganese, folate, copper, phosphorus and more. They help to increase satiety, boost digestion and regulate blood sugar levels and are also high in antioxidants, which help to fight free radicals and reduce oxidative stress in the body.
These falafels with chickpeas come paired with a spicy tomato salsa. Add a salad and you have satisfying, substantial meal. If you have any left over patties, you can refrigerate them and they will be delicious eaten cold with a salad or simply by themselves. They will last for 3 days.
- 2 cups canned chickpeas
- 1/4 cups coriander
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 red capsicum, chopped finely
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 cup fresh/frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup oat flour (gluten free)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 small dried chili (or to taste)
- Add all the salsa ingredients into a pot and heat over low heat for 10 minutes or until heated through. Set aside until later.
- Combine the chickpeas, coriander, mint, ginger, chiles, cumin, salt and pepper in a food processor.
- Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the corn and pulse a little more until the corn is slightly broken. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Fold in the flour and diced capsicums. Mix to fully incorporate the flour. The mixture should be fairly stiff. Add more flour if necessary.
- Form the mixture into 6 patties with moistened palms. Pour sufficient oil in a frying pan and place over moderately high heat.
- Fry the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until well browned.
- Re-heat the salsa and serve alongside the patties with a fresh salad.