If you’re buying a body lotion, you already know the worst nasties to avoid.
Fractionated coconut oil or olive oil both make inexpensive and completely toxin-free options.
You could also add argan, rosehip or avocado oils to the mix, and personalise them with 3 drops per 20 ml (½ fl oz) of grapefruit, geranium, cypress, rosemary or juniper essential oils – or a combination depending on your preference. All of these oils are brilliant for boosting circulation and supporting even skin texture on the body.
My body lotion cupcakes – yes, you heard me right! – are gorgeous to make for yourself or as gifts, and take no time at all.
BODY LOTION CUPCAKES
You’ll also need some silicone moulds in your preferred shape or paper cupcake liners.
- 30 g (1 oz/½ cup) grated beeswax
- 65 g (2¼ oz/½ cup) cocoa butter
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) coconut oil (refined for no coconut scent)
- 25 drops essential oils of your choice (e.g. rosemary, vetiver and jasmine, or a woody or floral combo)
WHAT TO DO
- Melt the beeswax over low heat in a bain-marie or double boiler (a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water).
- Once the wax is melted, still over the heat, melt in the cocoa butter.
- Once the cocoa butter is melted, melt in the coconut oil, stirring well.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into your chosen moulds.
- Wait patiently for them to harden – this will take about 1 hour at room temperature, or you could hurry things along in the fridge.
Copyright conditions require the cover image be used alongside the extract with the following credit line: ‘Images and recipes from Low Tox Life by Alexx Stuart, Murdoch Books, RRP $35.00 Photography by Rob Palmer.