Fish And Sweet Potato Cakes With Dill Dressing
These fish cakes are made with mashed sweet potato instead of regular potato, and they’re coated in wholegrain oats instead of breadcrumbs. Sweet potato has a lower GI than regular potato and it’s packed with the powerful antioxidant beta-carotene, which has been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease.
- 400 g (14 oz) orange sweet potato, cut into 3 cm (11/4 inch) dice
- 400 g (14 oz) firm white fish fillets
- 4 spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp, flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp dill, chopped
- 1 tsp finely lemon zest, grated
- 1 long red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 100 g (31/2 oz/1 cup) rolled
- (porridge) oats
- 1 tbsp olive or macadamia oil
- Baby English spinach leaves, to serve
- 1 tbsp dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp salted baby capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tbps lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of caster (superfine) sugar
Steam the sweet potato in a steamer over simmering water for
12 minutes or until tender. Drain, mash roughly with a fork and cool.
Steam the fish in a steamer over simmering water for 6–8 minutes
or until just cooked through. Set aside to cool, then flake with a fork.
Combine the sweet potato, fish, spring onion, herbs, lemon zest and chilli in a large bowl. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Form the mixture into eight 2 cm (3/4 inch) thick patties.
Place the oats on a large plate. Press each fish cake into the oats
to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm.
Combine all the ingredients for the dill dressing.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium–high heat and cook the fish cakes for 2–3 minutes each side or until golden brown, adding a little extra oil if necessary. Serve with spinach leaves and dill dressing.
Young children love these fish cakes, but you might need to leave out the chilli.
What's Your Preference: White Or Sweet Potato? Share In The Comments Below!
Take the stress out of cooking with 21-days of guided meal plans, shopping lists, and nutrition support. You’ll find all of this, and more, in our signature Clean Eating Program.