Gado Gado is traditionally made from a peanut sauce and well known as a comforting Indonesian salad. This recipe is a great alternative to using peanuts and consists of nothing but fresh, flavorsome ingredients!
ALMOND SATAY SAUCE
- 1/2 cup of almond butter
- 2 tbsp of sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp of tamari
- 1/2 cup of water
Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Add more ginger, soy and cayenne if you want a stronger flavor.
FOR THE GADO GADO
- 4 eggs boiled and cut into quarters
- 300 grams of mung bean shoots
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, chopped roughly
- 1 bunch of thai basil, leaves removed
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 1/4 wong bok, shredded
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 bunch of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into large sticks
- 1 zucchini, cut into large sticks
- 4 potatoes, cut into wedges
Steam your potatoes until cooked, but not too soft. Remove and set aside. Steam your wong bok, carrot, zucchini, cauliflower and broccoli until slightly soft. Remove and place with potatoes. Then add the rest of the ingredients to the same bowl and season with salt and pepper. Place on a platter and drizzle your “I can’t believe it’s not peanut” satay sauce over the top and serve.
What's Your Favorite Comforting Dish?