Giant Lamington With Raspberry Kakadu Jam
Considered a gift of the Dreamtime, the Kakadu plum is Australia’s star superfood. They have exceptional nutritional and antiseptic properties, and are a tasty addition to this Giant Lamington.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 6 eggs
- 115 g (4 oz/ 1/3 cup) honey
- 80 ml (2½ fl oz/ 1/3 cup) melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 65 g (2½ oz/ ½ cup) coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100 g (3½ oz/ 1 cup) almond meal
- 35 g (1¼ oz/ ½ cup) shredded coconut
Raspberry Kakadu Jam
- 170 g (6 oz) raspberries, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 50 g (1¾ oz/ ¼ cup) coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp Kakadu plum (salty plum) powder, or use the zest of 1 orange
- 45 g (1½ oz/ ¼ cup) chia seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut water
- 40 g (1½ oz/ ¼ cup) coconut oil
- 55 g (2 oz/ ½ cup) cacao powder
- 60 ml (2 fl oz/ ¼ cup) coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Lightly grease a 30 x 12 x 10 cm (12 x 4½ x 4 inch) loaf (bar) tin and line it with baking paper, leaving the sides overhanging.
- Use an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment to whisk the eggs and honey for 5 minutes or until well combined. Add the coconut oil and vanilla bean paste and whisk for another 2–3 minutes until well combined.
- Combine the coconut flour, baking powder and almond meal in a separate bowl. Gently fold into the egg mixture until just combined, then spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- Meanwhile, to make the jam, combine the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl, cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set.
- To make cacao frosting, put the coconut oil in a frying pan with 60 ml (2 fl oz/ ¼ cup) of water and cook over low heat until the oil melts. Add the cacao powder and coconut cream and stir for 2 minutes or until combined. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate. Spread with jam and drizzle with the frosting. Scatter with shredded coconut.
Recipes and Images from A Whole New Way to Eat by Vladia Cobrdova (Murdoch Books)
Cook up a storm in the kitchen with fresh, healthy inspiration. Explore the full library of Food Matters recipes, here.