Give Me Life Salad
This salad ticks all the boxes of a covetable meal: satisfying, hearty, healthy, good-looking, and totally addicting.
- 2 cups assorted fresh green herb leaves (basil, parsley, oregano, thyme)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 11/2 cups peeled, shredded carrots
- 11/2 cups peeled, shredded beets
- Alfalfa sprouts, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped assorted nuts and seeds, for garnish
- 11/2 cups Hummus
Store-bought crackers, for serving
To make the dressing: Blend the herbs, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, tahini, garlic, mustard, and salt. Then continue blending, slowly drizzling in the olive oil until the mixture is emulsified. If needed, add a touch of water to thin the dressing to your desired consistency, as it is quite thick.
To assemble the salad: Plate a handful of greens in individual bowls, or serve them all on a family-style platter. Drizzle some of the dressing on the greens. Mound carrots, beets, and alfalfa sprouts on top. Sprinkle with nuts, seeds, and nutritional yeast, and then drizzle more dressing on top. Scoop a large spoonful of hummus per person onto the salad (I like to use an ice cream scoop). Serve with crackers.
- The dressing keeps in the refrigerator, covered, for 2 days. The salad, once dressed, should be eaten immediately so the greens stay crisp.
- Use the dressing on anything!
- Vary your veggies. Eliminate the hummus if you want.
- Nutritional yeast gives this dressing a cheesy, rich flavor without the cheese. But, hey, substitute Parmesan if you prefer.