Gluten-Free Orange Blackberry Almond Scones
These berry scones come from Dr. Hyman’s cookbook, Food: What the Heck Should I Cook? We’ve learned more about how to be both paleo and plant-based through Dr. Hyman and this is just the kind of recipe that proves it’s possible…
Blackberries are one of my absolute favorite fruits—they’re a great source of vitamin C and contain many other antioxidants that are protective against inflammation, cancer, neurological diseases and more. Thanks to almond and millet flours, these scones are a nutrient-dense, lower-glycemic alternative to traditional scones that are made with refined flour and sugar, plus they provide healthy fats and protein to keep you satiated.
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup millet flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted but not hot
- 2 large pasture-raised eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- grated zest of 3 oranges
- ¾ cup blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, millet flour, coconut sugar (if using), baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In another medium bowl, combine the coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, and orange zest. Stir well. Add the egg mixture to the almond flour mixture, stirring well. Gently fold the blackberries into the dough.
- Lay a square piece of parchment paper on the counter. Place the dough on the parchment and flatten into a 1-inch-thick disk. Cut the disk in half, then slice each half into 3 wedges, creating 6 pieces. Place the scones on the lined baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Store leftovers in airtight container.
Excerpted from FOOD: What the Heck Should I Cook? Copyright © 2019 by Mark Hyman, MD. Used with permission of Little, Brown and Company, New York. All rights reserved.
You’ve likely heard about detoxing, but what’s the science behind it? In our exclusive detox masterclass, you can discover all that you need to know - and so much more.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!