Grilled Mushrooms With Pine Nut & Apple Burghul Salad (Recipe)
Quick and easy to prepare this is one of those meals that is perfect for a week night family dinner yet beautiful enough to serve to guests when entertaining! I love the combination of textures and flavors here. The crispy apple and fresh herbs with the earthy aromatic goodness that is grilled mushrooms.
Preparation time: 30 mins
- ¾ cup burghul
- 600g (1 lb) mixed mushrooms (I used button & shiitake, try swiss brown, field or any available fresh mushrooms you prefer)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt flakes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 50g (2 oz) pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 small red apple, finely diced
- ¼ small red onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- good handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- good handful fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 large lemon, zest & juice
- 1-2 tbs olive oil, extra
What to do
- Place the burghul in a bowl and cover with water, set aside while you prepare the remained of the dish (approx. 10 mins). Once soaked transfer to a fine sieve and press to drain off any excess liquid.
- Grind the spices with the salt flakes.
- Leave any small mushrooms whole and chop larger ones to about the same size, place in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil and ground spices to coat well. Thread the mushrooms onto bamboo skewers (be sure to pre-soak the skewers if you are using a barbecue).
- In a lightly oiled grill pan or on the barbecue, cook the mushroom over a medium/high heat, turning until golden on all sides.
- To make the burghul salad combine the drained burghul with the apple, onion, garlic, herbs and lemon zest; adding lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the grilled mushroom skewers with the burghul salad, a fantastic light and healthy recipe perfect for a vegetarian barbecue or quick family mid-week meal.