Honey Tamari Salmon with Citrus Soba Noodles
Soba noodles are best served cold and are the perfect foil for crisp hot salmon and a zesty citrus dressing. You can use any green vegetable with this, such as green beans or tenderstem broccoli.
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) salmon fillet
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 seedless or mandarin oranges
- 250 g (9 oz) dried soba noodles
- 200 g (7 oz) asparagus, trimmed
- 1 finger-sized red chili, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp togarashi spice mix
- 2 handfuls mizuna or wild rocket (arugula)
- zest and juice
- 1 seedless or mandarin orange
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 75 ml (21/2 fl oz) yuzu juice
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 small Thai shallot, finely chopped
- Slice the salmon into four pieces. Mix the soy sauce with the honey in a shallow glass dish, then place the salmon, flesh side down, in the marinade.
- Mix together all the citrus dressing ingredients.
- Slice the peel from the oranges using a knife and then cut into discs. Set aside.
- Bring a very large pan of water to a boil. Add a cup of cold water and then the noodles (the cold water helps slow down the cooking time to prevent the noodles from becoming soggy). Cook for about 7 minutes or until al dente. Add the asparagus in the last 30 seconds of cooking. Drain, rinse in cold water and leave to sit in the sieve until the salmon is done.
- Heat your oven grill. Place the salmon on a foil-covered baking tray. Grill for 6–8 minutes until crisp at the edges. If your salmon has skin, then remove it after cooking.
- Rinse the noodles again, to detangle. Arrange the noodles and asparagus on four plates. Top with the fish and orange slices and pour on the dressing.
- Sprinkle with the chili and spice mix and serve with some salad leaves strewn over the top.
If you don't have the togarashi spice mix, substitute with black or white sesame seeds.
My Asian Kitchen by Jennifer Joyce, Murdoch Books, RRP $39.99 Photography by Phil Webb, Illustrations by Riley Joyce’.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!