Italian Quinoa Salad With Basil Oil (Recipe)
Italian food is a beautiful thing but if are wanting a nice dose of it without the heavy pasta that your body doesn't always love then you need to try this recipe!
- 1 cup quinoa
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes
- 100g Danish feta
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 100ml olive or grape seed oil
- In a medium saucepan add the quinoa along with 1 cup of water. Bring to the boil then turn heat down to a simmer for 10 - 12 minutes, or unto quinoa opens. Set aside to cool.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and drop 3/4 of the basil leaves in for 20 seconds.
- Drain in a colander and run under cold water for 1 minute so that it doesn't continue to change color . Alternatively you can sit the colander in a bowl of iced water.
- Put the basil leaves in a tea towel and roll it up. Ring out excess moisture by twisting then place in a blender with the salt and lemon juice. Turn blender on and gradually add the oil until it all combines, set aside.
- Dry roast the pine nuts in a small frypan on high heat for 1 - 2 minutes or until golden.
- Turn quinoa saucepan upside down over a mixing bowl and allow to freely pour out. If it is struggling come out, be gentle and use a spoon to release. You don’t want to mix the quinoa too much otherwise it will bruise and become stodgy.
- Gently fold in tomatoes, pine nuts, feta and remaining basil into the quinoa.
- Transfer to a serving dish, top with extra pine nuts and pour over the basil oil.
From The Healthy Cook by Dan Churchill. Check out Dan's Author Profile for more information & recipes.
Hungry for more recipes just like this one? Discover the best recipes fresh from the Food Matters Kitchen.