Japanese Style Zucchini Pancakes
Inspired by traditional Japanese okonomiyaki. Zucchini is the star of this dish. Make small pancakes for a quick lunch or an easy snack – just be careful bringing these to parties as they will vanish in seconds and you will be pestered for the recipe by vegans and non-vegans alike!
- ¾ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon kala namak (black salt)
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 200 g carrots, peeled and grated
- 300 g zucchini, grated
- 2 tablespoons sherry (optional)
- extra virgin olive oil
- vegan mayonnaise, hoisin sauce, pickled ginger, sliced spring onions, sliced nori, sesame
- seeds and a simple lettuce salad
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl with ½ cup water and mix well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and cook half the batter until golden on both sides. Turn once during cooking. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Serve with generous drizzles of mayonnaise and hoisin sauce, and perhaps a simple lettuce salad. To make the dish really impressive, sprinkle with sliced nori, pickled ginger, sliced spring onion and sesame seeds.
This recipe is by Katja Daugelat.
This is an extract from Kindness Community Vegan Cookbook by Edgar’s Mission (Affirm
Press, $35). Photography by Julie Renouf.