Mexican Corn Fritters With Tomato & Avocado Salsa
Corn comes in different colors with varying nutritional benefits. In the case of yellow corn, it’s the density of the (antioxidant) carotenoids that stand out. Fritters are a fabulous way to incorporate more veggies in the diet, particularly with fussy eaters. The delicious tomato and avocado salsa can be served with nearly everything!
remove kernels from corn cobs
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed (2 cups/400 g)
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp dried thyme
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Tomato & Avocado Salsa
- 1 large ripe avocado, roughly smashed
- 1⁄2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Sea salt
- To make the salsa, place the avocado, onion and lime juice in a bowl and roughly mash to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Place the corn, paprika, ground coriander, thyme and lime zest in a bowl. Add the egg and whisk until well combined.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large, deep, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add heaped tablespoons of the batter in batches and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove and cover to keep warm while you cook the remaining mixture, adding the remaining oil as needed.
Serve the fritters warm topped with the salsa.
The Energy Guide
by Dr. Libby Weaver is published by Macmillan Australia, RRP $39.99
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!