Corn comes in different colors with varying nutritional benefits. In the case of yellow corn, it’s the density of the (antioxidant) carotenoids that stand out. Fritters are a fabulous way to incorporate more veggies in the diet, particularly with fussy eaters. The delicious tomato and avocado salsa can be served with nearly everything!
Prep ahead: remove kernels from corn cobs
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed (2 cups/400 g)
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp dried thyme
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Tomato & Avocado Salsa
- 1 large ripe avocado, roughly smashed
- 1⁄2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Sea salt
- To make the salsa, place the avocado, onion and lime juice in a bowl and roughly mash to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Place the corn, paprika, ground coriander, thyme and lime zest in a bowl. Add the egg and whisk until well combined.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large, deep, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add heaped tablespoons of the batter in batches and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove and cover to keep warm while you cook the remaining mixture, adding the remaining oil as needed.
- Serve the fritters warm topped with the salsa.