Mushroom Gyros with Tzatziki
I love gyros, and this recipe nails the flavors. It’s fantastic for entertaining as it looks a lot more complicated than it is. It’s also great with a Greek salad or roasted potatoes.
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, grated
- 1 cup Coyo natural yogurt
- 1–2 cloves garlic (depending on how garlicky you like it), crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup tamari or coconut aminos
- 500 g portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pita bread, tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber
- For the tzatziki, lightly salt the cucumber and set aside in a colander for 5–10 minutes to drain some of the liquid away. Then simply mix all ingredients together in a small bowl; I find Coyo yogurt a little on the sweeter side, so adjust the salt and lemon juice to your liking.
- For the gyros, preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Whisk all the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix mushrooms with the marinade until well covered.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, and sauté the mushrooms until they have reduced in size and are cooked through.
- Transfer mushrooms to a tray lined with baking paper – this should be big enough to allow a single layer of mushrooms. Cook in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms are slightly crispy (or to your liking).
- When you’re ready to serve, heat the pita bread in a pan for a minute or two on each side, or use a microwave.
- Assemble gyros by layering the mushrooms, tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumber on the pita bread, and don’t forget the tzatziki over the top!
Recipe by Taree-lace Major.
This is an extract from Kindness Community Vegan Cookbook by Edgar’s Mission (Affirm
Press, $35). Photography by Julie Renouf.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!