Peppermint Cream Pies
Peppermint and chocolate are always a good idea, especially when made into this perfect little tarts with no refined-sugar, gluten-free and dairy-free. Whip these raw treats up for your guests!
Prep time: overnight | make time: 45 minutes | stand time: 8 hours | qty: 4 x 10 cm pies | serves 4
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 cups raw almonds
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder 2 Tbsp rice syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (+ extra for greasing)
- 3 drops essential peppermint oil
What to do
- Process all ingredients until crumbly and no large chunks remain. Pinch the mixture together between your fingers - if it holds it shapesit's the right consistency. If not, add 1 Tbsp of cold water at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Grease the bases and sides of 4 x 10 cm springform tins with the extra coconut oil and press crust down evenly, ensuring the bottom and sides are covered. Place in the freezer while you prepare the peppermint cream.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cashews (soaked overnight) – rinsed well 1 ripe avocado
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3⁄4 cup coconut water + extra
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 4 drops essential peppermint oil
What to do
- Blend all ingredients, starting with 3⁄4 cup coconut water, until smooth. Gradually add extra coconut water until the entire mixture is smooth and churning consistently. You may need to regularly stop the blender and scrape down the sides with a spatula to allow for a well combined mixture. Taste. Sweet enough? Enough peppermint? Adjust if desired.
- Remove the prepared bases from the freezer and pour the peppermint cream evenly into each one. Return to the freezer for 6-8 hours or overnight for best results.
- To serve, t haw at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
- Best kept in the freezer until needed. Will keep in the fridge for 2 – 3 days.
Tip: For choc-peppermint ice cream cakes, drizzle over the chocolate topping before freezing and only let soften for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
Cook up a storm in the kitchen with fresh, healthy inspiration. Explore the full library of Food Matters recipes, here.