Quick and Easy Dhal
This one pot wonder is a quick, easy and nourishing meat-free meal. Serve it with brown rice or quinoa and a big leafy salad, or some steamed vegetables and you have a perfectly nutritionally balanced meal.
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced or crushed
- 2-3cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, whole
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 350g tomatoes, roughly chopped or 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 200g (1 cup) red lentils, rinsed well in a sieve
- 400g tin of coconut milk
- 350g of water, chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons almond meal
- Dried chilli to taste
- Sea salt, a good pinch (or more to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 lime, juice and zest to finish
- Bunch of coriander, roughly chopped to serve
What To Do:
- In a medium sized pot, over a low to moderate heat, add a little coconut oil or ghee.
- SautĂŠ the onion, garlic, ginger and spices for two minutes.
- Now add the grated carrot, zucchini, tomatoes, lentils, coconut milk, water and almond meal.
- Season well, stir and leave to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the lentils are cooked and most of the the moisture is absorbed.
- Finish with coriander leaves and lime.
- Season again if necessary.