Quick and Easy Dhal
This one pot wonder is a quick, easy and nourishing meat-free meal. Serve it with brown rice or quinoa and a big leafy salad, or some steamed vegetables and you have a perfectly nutritionally balanced meal.
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced or crushed
- 2-3cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, whole
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 350g tomatoes, roughly chopped or 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 200g (1 cup) red lentils, rinsed well in a sieve
- 400g tin of coconut milk
- 350g of water, chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons almond meal
- Dried chilli to taste
- Sea salt, a good pinch (or more to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 lime, juice and zest to finish
- Bunch of coriander, roughly chopped to serve
What To Do:
- In a medium-sized pot, over low to moderate heat, add a little coconut oil or ghee.
- SautĂŠ the onion, garlic, ginger, and spices for two minutes.
- Now add the grated carrot, zucchini, tomatoes, lentils, coconut milk, water, and almond meal.
- Season well, stir, and leave to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the lentils are cooked and most of the moisture is absorbed.
- Finish with coriander leaves and lime.
- Season again if necessary.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!