Raw Apple Pie with Almonds, Coconut and Ginger
This is one of my favourite raw desserts to make- it is easy, quick, delicious and healthy enough to enjoy for dessert or breakfast! If apples aren't in season, feel free to substitute the fruit- peaches or apricots are lovely too.
- 4 apples
- 3/4 cup of dates
- 1 orange
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ginger
- ¼ cup of desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons of flaked almonds
- Flaked almonds and cranberries to garnish
- Wash the apples and then slice them on a mandolin so you get a very fine slice. If you don’t have a mandolin, simply slice them as fine as you can!
- If your dates are hard, soak them for an hour or so in warm water.
- When they have softened, rinse the dates and add them to the blender with the juice of the orange and about ¼ teaspoon of the orange zest.
- Add the cinnamon and ginger.
- Blend until you get a relatively smooth date paste. You can add a little water if need be to keep it moving easily in the blender.
- Mix the date paste through the apples and add the coconut and flaked almonds.
- When everything is mixed well, transfer the mix to a baking tin or individual ramekins.
- Garnish the tops with more flaked almonds and cranberries.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This will keep in the fridge covered for 3-4 days.
Hungry for more recipes just like this one? Discover the best recipes fresh from the Food Matters Kitchen.