Sweet and Zesty Raw Lemon Bars Filled With Antioxidants, Fiber, and Healthy Fats (Recipe)
We are big lovers of lemons! Lemon water, lemon in juice, lemon bliss balls and especially raw lemon treats! This raw lemon slice doesn't disappoint on the list of lemon loves, plus it is super easy to whip up.
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup walnuts (any nut will work, use pumpkin seeds or oats for nut-free version)
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes or 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or 2 pitted dates
- 2 tbsp lemon zest (organic preferred) - from about 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (for color)
- In a food processor, chop the dates, nuts, and salt for the crust until a dough-like consistency is formed.
- In an 8x8" pan lined with parchment paper, press the crust into the bottom in an even layer. Wet your hands slightly, as it is sticky.
- In a food processor or blender, add the coconut flakes for the filling and process until smooth and creamy.
- To the coconut butter that you just made in step #3 (or you can use 1/2 cup of purchased coconut butter instead), add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Adjust sweetener as needed but remember the crust is sweet, as well.
- Pour the lemon mixture onto the crust and let set in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Cut into bars.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
Notes: Choose organic ingredients when possible
Kickstart your journey back to health with 21-days of gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined-sugar-free recipes. Explore the Food Matters Clean Eating Program today.