SALTED CARAMEL, CHOCOLATE AND FIG TART (RECIPE)
I seem to have a thing for anything salted caramel (who doesn’t) and this tart is no exception. The chocolate is creamy, the salted caramel has the perfect balance of salty and sweet and the hazelnut base is just delicious. Plus it has figs.. heaven much?
For the crust
- 200g hazelnuts
- 6 dates, pitted
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp coconut oil
For the salted caramel layer
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 25g cacao butter, chopped
For the chocolate
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 140g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 handful of hazelnuts, crushed
- 3 figs, sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C
- Blend the crust ingredients, except the coconut oil, until the mixture is crumbly and sticks together slightly when pinched.
- Grease an 8 inch loose bottomed tart case with the coconut oil - make sure you get the oil over every part of it, then pour the mixture in. Press it down into the tart case then transfer to the oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes until it darkens slightly (and smells amazing!).
- Take the crust out of the oven, let it sit for a few minutes then carefully remove it from the case. Set aside and let it cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- To make the salted caramel layer, fill a saucepan halfway with boiling water and put it on a low to medium heat. Place a glass bowl over the top and the cacao butter inside. Heat until the butter is completely melted.
- Pour the tahini and maple syrup into the cacao butter, add the salt, mix until smooth then pour it over the crust. Transfer it to the fridge for 1 hour.
- Start on the chocolate in the same way by filling a saucepan halfway with boiling water, place a glass bowl on top and then add the chocolate. Slowly melt it into a liquid on a low to medium heat.
- To finish the chocolate, heat the coconut cream in a saucepan until warm. Pour the coconut cream into the melted chocolate and add the salt, stir well then pour over the tart. Cover and place back in the fridge to chill for another hour.
- Top the tart with the nuts and figs and serve.