Spicy Salmon Wasabi Burgers
These are perfect if you adore spicy food, and enjoy the pungent, hot taste of wasabi and ginger. I make these spicy burgers with wild caught salmon and just a few other healthy ingredients, and serve them sans buns. When I do need a bud, I use lettuce or other greens as a serving vehicle for my burger recipes, and find that crispy Romaine lettuce works especially well. Boston, or bibb lettuce also works superbly for this purpose.
Using greens in place of high-carb breads is a win-win in my book. Of course, I could make hamburger buns using almond flour or coconut flour, however, I`ve been in the habit of using healthy vegetables as buns for so long that i really don`t see the point. Further, lettuce buns are great at holding loads of condiments up against a burger. And I love smothering my burgers in condiments.
These salmon cakes, however, need no condiments as the spicy wasabi is already inside them along with cilantro, scallion and lime!
- 1 pound skinless salmon filet 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup fresh scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt
- 1/4 cup wasabi powder
- 1 tbsp water
- Coconut oil for frying
Child Friendly Version
- 1 pound skinless salmon filet
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp ume plum vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions (white and green parts)
- 1/4 cups toasted sesame seeds
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- coconut oil for frying
- Rinse the salmon, pat dry and cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine salmon, ginger, scallions, cilantro, eggs, lime juice, almond flour and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine wasabi powder and water to form a paste.
- Mix wasabi paste into salmon mixture.
- Form batter into 2-inch patties with your hands.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Saute patties in batches until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes per side and serve.