Takka Dhal With Spinach And Fresh Tomato
A classic, mixed lentil dish cooked with whole cumin and ground spices, then garnished with smoky burnt garlic and crispy curry leaves, ginger and chilli.
- ¼ onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 large handfuls of baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 100g yellow mung beans
- 50g masoor dhal
- 50g toor dhal
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- ghee, for drizzling
Curry Leaves, Garlic, Ginger and Red Chilli
- Wash the mung beans and both dhals together thoroughly. Put them into a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes. Using a large spoon, remove any white scum or residue.
- Add the turmeric and salt and continue to simmer for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and pressing the beans and dhal against the pan with the back of your spoon. Cook until they are soft and creamy (add a little boiling water if too thick). Turn off the heat.
- In a separate frying pan, heat the oil over a low–medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and fry for 2–3 seconds. Turn up the heat slightly, add the onion and fry for 3–4 minutes until golden brown. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the garam masala and fry for 1 minute, then pour in a ladleful of mung beans and dhal, swirl around the pan and pour it all back into the large pan of cooked dhal. Simmer the dhal over a low heat for 8–10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the chopped spinach and tomato, drizzle with ghee and garnish with the Curry Leaves, Garlic, Ginger and Red Chilli.
What Is Your Favorite Indian Dish? Share The Recipe Below!
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!