Vanilla Bean Chia Porridge With Sautéed Caramel Pears (Recipe)
A fragrant vanilla bean is split and scrapped right into a mixture of coconut milk and chia seeds and left to infuse overnight. (If coconut milk is not your thing, simply swap it out for the milk of your choice.) The next morning the mix gently heats on the stove while you prepare the caramel pear topping.
Thinly sliced pears are sautéed with butter (or coconut oil) and coconut nectar to create a quick caramel sauce that’s finished with a pinch of salt to bring out it’s complexity. Tender and nearly transparent, the softened pears are piled onto the warmed chia porridge and topped with a generous drizzle of the coconut caramel. Sometimes I’ll add a sprinkle of cinnamon for extra warmth and spice, but it’s completely optional as the caramel pears stand on their own.
Creamy, but with enough chewy texture to keep it satisfyingly hearty, this is the kind of breakfast that feels like a special treat.
For the Chia Porridge:
- 1 can/14oz/400ml of coconut milk (either regular or light ) or use your favorite nut milk
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup (48 g) chia seeds (I like to use white for a prettier pudding)
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half and seeds scraped
For the Sautéed Pears:
- 1 large or two small pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (14 g) butter or coconut oil for a vegan version
- 1 tbso (15 ml) coconut nectar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Start the night before. Stir together the coconut milk, salt, chia seeds and vanilla bean seeds in a jar or sealed container. Refrigerate overnight to plump. Stir to incorporate the seeds if they have settled the following morning.
- The next morning make the sautéed pears.
- In a medium skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter or coconut oil.
- Add the coconut nectar and stir until the mixture begins to bubble. Reduce to a simmer and add the pears. Cook stirring occasionally, until the mixture turns syrupy and a deep golden color and the pears are tender (about 3 to 5 minutes.)
- In the meantime, gently reheat the chia porridge in a small saucepan until warm, but not boiling.
- Remove the pears from the heat and add a pinch of salt.
- Spoon the warmed porridge into cups and top with the pears and caramel syrup; sprinkle with ground cinnamon if desired and serve immediately.