Organic tofu is an excellent food from a nutritional and health perspective. Abundant with amino acids, iron and calcium, it’s the most popular source of protein for vegans and vegetarians.
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp garlic powder olive oil, for frying
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 150 g extra-firm tofu, drained
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- ¼ avocado, diced
- Pinch of freshly ground
- Black pepper
- 1 slice of rye bread, toasted
- To prepare the seasoning: in a small bowl, mix together the paprika, cumin, turmeric and garlic powder.
- Heat a little olive oil in a small, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the spring onion and cook for 1 minute, or until softened.
- Using your fingers, break the tofu into small pieces and crumble into the pan. Sprinkle the seasoning over the tofu and mix well.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and avocado to the spiced tofu mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to burst. Add a sprinkle of pepper and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Serve the scrambled tofu with the toasted rye and your morning coffee, if you like!
The Nourishing Cook by Leah Itsines is published by Pan Australia. $34.99. Out now.