Winter Spelt Berry Salad (Recipe)
- High in niacin
- Rich in copper, iron & zinc
- High in magnesium
This recipe combines organic spelt with some of our favorite greens & the sweet burst of cranberries and apricots. A delicious winter salad that could also become an all-year-round favorite.
WINTER SPELT BERRY SALAD
- 1 cup spelt berries
- 3 cups water
- 1 - 1.5 cups finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup shallots or onions- finely diced
- 4 large mushrooms - finely diced
- 1 small green pepper - finely diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 dried apricots - sliced in half
- scant 1/4 cup or so olive oil
- juice from a fresh large lemon
- salt & freshly cracked pepper to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a bowl. Add spelt berries, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and drain access water- set aside.
- Finely dice the mushrooms, shallots/onion and pepper- a mini food processor gets this job done super fast, if not simply dice by hand. In a saute pan, drizzled with a bit of coconut or olive oil, saute the veggies over medium heat until they just begin to turn golden. Add cranberries and cook a minute more. Add the mixture to the spelt berries (that you transferred to a medium bowl) along with the apricots, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper - mix well.
- Serve immediately, keeps well at room temp and will stay fresh in fridge for up to a week. Enjoy!
Are you searching for the latest in health & wellness? Stay up to date with our most recent articles.