Apple, Walnut & Roasted Beet Salad
Let's talk about beets... A hearty root vegetable that is pretty much available all year round but are especially abundant in the fall. This recipe feels like fall to us, the earthy roasted beets, the sweet crisp apple and nutty walnuts. A great recipe for that fancy dinner party, but just as great for your daily lunches! It's one of those salad's that can last a couple of days and often tastes better the next day.
- 1 larger beetroot, washed & thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil for roasting
- Pinch of sea salt for roasting
- 1 cup arugula (rocket)
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup kale, shredded
- Pinch of sea salt to massage kale
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to massage kale
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees celsius) & line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Drizzle thinly sliced beetroot with coconut oil and sea salt and place in the oven to roast for 30-45 minutes, depending on how thin your slices are.
- While your beetroot is roasting, prepare your kale by shredding, drizzle with a dash of olive oil and sea salt and massage with your hands for a minute or so. This is a great way to make your kale more easily digestible and helps bring out flavor.
- Once your beetroot is roasted, toss salad ingredients together.
- Mix the dressing together in a small jar and drizzle on top.
Do you have a passion for nutrition & natural healing?. Learn more about the Food Matters Nutrition Certification Program here.