Buckwheat Porridge with Berry Compote
Maybe your mornings are getting cooler, or maybe you're coming into berry picking season. Either way, this simple breakfast will become your new go-to. The porridge isn't like your usual bowl either; it's made from buckwheat - which is packed with good-for-you nutrients with a delightfully nutty taste. The whole family will be singing out for more!
for the porridge:
- ¼ cup buckwheat groats, soaked and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 Medjool date, pitted and diced
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk of choice (coconut, almond, oat)
- ½ cup water
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt
- ½ cup frozen mixed berries
- ½ pear, sliced
- 1 tablespoon activated almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds (optional)
- Combine the buckwheat, chia seeds, date, cinnamon, ginger, plant-based milk, and ½ cup water in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Simmer, stirring regularly, for 5-8 minutes or until preferred consistency is achieved. Remove from the heat and place porridge in a serving bowl.
- In the same saucepan, over low heat, add ½ cup frozen mixed berries. Stir and mash until a jam-like consistency is achieved, about 5 minutes.
- Top the buckwheat porridge with sliced pear, chopped activated almonds, berry compote, and an optional sprinkle of hemp seeds.
TIP: Soak buckwheat overnight, or for 4 hours before cooking in 3 - 4 times the amount of warm water. Rinse and drain buckwheat before use. This activation process breaks down the phytic acids that the body can have trouble digesting.
This delicious breakfast is just the beginning when it comes to dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free meals that your whole household will love. Would you like to try some more?
Discover how to lose excess fat from your belly, face & thighs in less than 7 days with this simple ancient practice. Watch the Detox Masterclass here. Playing for a limited time!