Bunless Portobello Burger (Recipe)
Drop the refined white flour bun and add two delicious, nutrient-rich Portobello mushrooms instead! Fill them with your favorite fillings. They're sure to satisfy!
Burger addicts will be surprised at just how hearty this burger is, even without a big slab of meat or big bun of empty carbs.
Serves 1-2. Cooking Time: 45 minutes.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 Portobello mushrooms
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of mixed herbs
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Rocket (arugula) or baby spinach
- Sliced tomato
- 1/4 pumpkin
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- Pinch of paprika
- Pinch of sea salt
What to do
- Preheat oven to 355ºF (180ºC )
- Slice pumpkin to roughly the same size as the portobello buns as these will be the 'patty'. Spread evenly on lined baking tray, coat with coconut oil & honey and roast for 30-40 minutes until cooked and golden brown.
- Drizzle portobello mushrooms with olive oil, a pinch of salt and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place on lined tray and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- While the pumpkin and mushrooms roast, get your guacamole ready by combining avocado, lime, garlic, paprika & sea salt in a bowl. Mix until combined well.
- Assemble your burgers by placing one mushroom on the plate, top with roasted pumpkin, guacamole, sliced tomato, leafy greens and top with the other mushrooms.
NOTE: Get creative and use any of your favorite burger ingredients.
Kickstart your journey back to health with 21-days of gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined-sugar-free recipes. Explore the Food Matters Clean Eating Program today.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!