Cacao Coconut Rough
This super quick and easy raw vegan chocolate slice is very nutritious and definitely satisfies the strongest chocolate craving.
They are gluten and dairy free; a bit of a change from the dried fruit, high sugar energy balls or bars that are about. I think they are so delicious – a bit of a cross between a coconut rough and chocolate crackle. There’s something distinctly nostalgic about these beauties.
Why are they so good?
The almond meal offers good fats and mood elevating amino acids and minerals. The cacao adds antioxidants and the chia seeds, more protein and omega 3 fatty acids. While coconut oil is incredible for these reasons !
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup sweetener either rice malt syrup or maple syrup (the more you use the sweeter they are)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup raw extra virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2 heaped tbsp of cacao powder (or more for a richer dark chocolate)
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean powder or paste
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs (optional)
- 1 good pinch of sea salt – I quite like a sweet and salty taste (optional)
What to do
- In a food processor combine on low speed (Thermomix speed 4) the almond meal, rice malt syrup, coconut, coconut oil, chia seeds, cocoa and vanilla until just combined (Thermomix 5 seconds). You can also mix by hand. Just make sure the coconut oil is in its liquid form.
- Press the mix into a small lined tray, sprinkle with cacao nibs and salt (you may need to press them into the mix with the back of a spoon) and place in the fridge or freezer to set for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Once set, remove from the tin and chop into little squares. Keep in a container in the fridge.
- Add a few drops of peppermint essence for a delicious mint chocolate flavour.
- Use hazelnut meal for a chocolate hazelnut slice.
- Choose rice malt syrup as your sweetener.